Board Game Players in Melbourne Australia

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PAX Australia in Melbourne July 19-21 2013
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 pm 

A US video game convention with space for board games is coming to Melbourne ...

PAX Australia in Melbourne July 19-21 2013

http://paxaustralia.com.au/

http://paxaustralia.com.au/what-is-pax#Tabletop
Ranging from as hardcore to D&D to as casual as Bananagrams, the PAX Tabletop area has games for all gamer types and skill levels. With hundreds of freeplay tables and the ability to checkout games like you would books at a library, this area could easily keep you occupied for the entire weekend. Forget all those digimal beep boops - rolling a twenty and looking your opponent in the eye is where it's at!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PAX Australia in Melbourne July 19-21 2013
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm 

On this topic, Ian Houlihan is the Tabletop Games co-ordinator for PAX AU. He's looking for volunteers to help out with the game library. I've suggested that he come over here and introduce himself, to get the conversation rolling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm 

Hello All,

My name is Ian Houlihan, and some of you may remember me from Gen Con Australia from back in 2008 and 2009.

I am now the Tabletop Manager for PAX Australia, and I am eager to get as many of you involved in PAX Tabletop as I can.

PAX is a very well know Trade Show and Convention held in Seattle (PAX Prime) and Boston (PAX East). PAX covers everything gaming, and tabletop plays an integral part of the show's makeup. PAX is also about community. No necessarily large scale tournaments and the like, but a way to introduce new people to the hobby we love, and get them interested in tabletop gaming.

PAXAus has sold over 33,000 tickets, which is an amazing achievement within its first year, and that was without telling people what they were going to see. That's a huge number of people who may never have experienced what tabletop games are about. So now, we have the task of presenting demonstrations, and tournaments throughout the show.

This is where you all come in - I hope.

I am based in Brisbane, and a games club has agreed to donate their somewhat LARGE board game library for use at the show. But we want more, and need people to help demonstrate these games. Effectively, we want a place where anyone can stop by, and be shows games being played, and how to play them.

Are you up for this role? If yes, drop me a PM, or send me an email to paxaus.hooly@gmail.com.

Please spread this information far and wide. We need your help to make this an amazing event that we can build upon year after year.

P: +61 734 917 155
E: paxaus.hooly@gmail.com

Last edited by PAXAUS_Hooly on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 pm 

Interested.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:30 am 

It took a fair bit of reading to find, but it's being held at the Showgrounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:45 am 

OK, here are the details:

WHAT: PAX Australia
WHEN: 19-21 July, 2013
WHERE: Melbourne Showgrounds
WEB: http://aus.paxsite.com/
COST: I'd list it, but event tickets are sold out.

For those that would love to volunteer (and frankly there is now no way else now to enter the show), e-mail me directly for any questions you may have (see the SIG below). You will need to become a PAX Enforcer (i.e. the PAX Volunteer Program) to be able to volunteer. No cost to you, and entry to the show will be free.

We really need your help guys as there is over a hundred games being shipped down, but unfortunately very few right now that can help me run this area.

I really need your assistance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 pm 

Hi Ian, I've sent you an email, but the PAXAus site says that applications for Enforcers have closed for this year. Any clarification you can give?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:56 pm 

Absolutely. I am awaiting a response from the Enforcer Registry about who staff I have. With that, I'll have a clear indication on what the process of adding people is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 pm 

Hi Ian, any developments on this since last week?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:19 am 

If people are interested in volunteering as enforcers, send me an e-mail to houlihan.ianm@gmail.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:39 pm 

Please be aware that EGF will not run on the same weekend as PAX Australia (July 21st). We look forward to welcoming everyone in August when we resume our normal schedule of 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month.

The EGF library will be loaned to PAX Australia tabletop games section for public use. Those interested in volunteering for PAX tabletop gaming can do so by contacting Ian Houlihan (See post: PAX Australia in Melbourne July 19-21 2013. They need volunteers to demonstrate games. Tickets to PAX are SOLD OUT. This is a perfect opportunity for us to boost our audience and attract new participants.

Late finish for EGF which happened as a 3 month trial ended in June and will again be visited come Summer and daylight savings.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:14 am 

Hi all,

I'm helping Ian with the boardgames area as "boardgames co-ordinator" (a title that doesn't officially exist in the PAX hierarchy, but means I'm racing around trying to beg and borrow games and ideally get them donated for the library). I'll also be working night shifts at TableTop HQ at PAX Aus.

I know that some of you have formally registered as Enforcers and some of you have expressed interest in becoming an Enforcer but have not yet started the process.

If you have not been sent official emails, filled in an Enforcer application, sent in a photo and been given access to the Enforcer forums, you may not be formally registered yet. Please could you get in touch with me (best email address is melissa -at- melissainau.com) and let me know where you're at - who you've spoken to, what you've expressed interest in, and whether you are currently registered.

Thanks so much.

Melissa

Post subject: PAX Australia in Melbourne July 19-21 2013 Public Transport
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:26 am 

See Notice from Public Transport Victoria ----- Click here !

Public transport for PAX Australia at the Showgrounds: Friday 19 July – Sunday, 21 July 2013

15 May 2013

Attention all gamers heading to PAX Australia at Melbourne Showgrounds from Friday 19 July to Sunday 21 July.

Special trains will run between Flinders Street Station and the Showgrounds, stopping at Southern Cross and North Melbourne stations.

Extra trams will also run between Flinders Street and Epsom Road.

myki is your ticket to travel on Melbourne's public transport network. You need to have a valid myki and touch on and off as you travel to ensure that you pay the correct fare. You can buy and top up your myki at close to 800 retailers including all 7-Eleven stores, at Premium Stations and at major tram and bus interchanges. For more information, see buying your myki and topping up your myki.

ImageMetropolitan trains
:arrow: To the Showgrounds

Special trains will run from Flinders Street Station to the Showgrounds, stopping at Southern Cross and North Melbourne stations.

From Friday to Sunday, special trains will run:

• every 20 minutes between 8am and 10.40am
  • every 40 minutes between 10.40am and 12pm noon
  • If you want to travel to the Showgrounds after 12pm, catch a train to Newmarket Station on the Craigieburn line. You can then catch a Route 57 tram and get off at Stop 32, a short walk from the Showgrounds entrance.

:arrow: From the Showgrounds

Special trains will run from the Showgrounds to Flinders Street Station, stopping at North Melbourne and Southern Cross stations.

On Friday and Saturday, special trains will run:

• every 40 minutes between 6.20pm and 10pm
  • every 20 minutes between 10pm and 11pm
  • every 10 minutes between 11pm and midnight

On Sunday, special trains will run:

• every 10 minutes between 5pm and 7pm

If you want to leave the precinct before the first train departs Showgrounds Station, catch a Route 57 tram to Newmarket Station and connect with a Craigieburn line train to either Craigieburn or the city.

ImageMetropolitan trams

Extra trams will operate as Route 57a between Stop 1: Flinders and Elizabeth streets and Stop 33: Epsom and Union roads via Elizabeth Street, Flemington Road, Racecourse Road and Epsom Road.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 pm 

Volunteering with the table top crew at PAX AUS??

It was GROUSE!!!!

Can we do it again next year?? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:47 am 

Thanks Avatrix - your assistance was invaluable. Happy to have you back in 2014!

Profile E-mail