DOCKERS Game of The Year 2014

Dockers meets in the NAB building at Melbourne Docklands every Thursday night.
crikeythecat

DOCKERS Game of The Year 2014

Post by crikeythecat » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 am

It may not be New Years yet, but Dockers is officially done for 2014 so I'm getting in early. Happy New Year!!!

....And now its time for the Third Annual DOCKERS GAME OF THE YEAR AWARD!!! :smt026

Similar to last year, this is based on number of plays (not personal favourites) as per my record keeping over at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/byda ... /boardgame, and based on the listed 'Playing Time' as per Board Game Geek - unless the playing time looks silly.

It was a strange year at Dockers, lots of games played, lots of new games, no games really played week in week out.

[DrumRoll] the Awards:

GAME OF THE YEAR - FILLER :smt041
Criteria: Up to 45 minutes Playing Time

Trains

Honourable Mentions

- Coup (EDIT: Oooops, I accidentally posted this as the winner. It was the winner by number of games played, but Trains wins by minutes of gameplay - cant even get my own rules right when posting at midnight)
- Avalon
- Splendor (a late charger that could yet rise to glory)
- For Sale (an oldie but a goodie)

GAME OF THE YEAR: :smt023
Criteria: 60-120 Minutes Playing Time

Caverna : The Cave Farmers
was it perhaps Gavin's cool foam core box modifications that got it over the line?

Honourable Mentions

- Terra Mystica
- Trajan
- Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia (the version with the cool bits)

GAME OF THE YEAR - BIG ONES :smt041
Criteria: Playing Time of 2 hours or more

Dominant Species

Honourable Mentions
- Eclipse
- "Dons' Prototype Game" is Don is good

As a new award this year we also have:
SURPRISE PACKET OF THE YEAR :smt103

Burgoo
For $4 on Kickstarter, this was a great deal!!!

And in keeping with tradition its important to honor:
TURKEY OF THE YEAR :smt078

Tiny Epic Kingdoms
Not only did they manage to deliver 1 copy to Trev when they were supposed to deliver 10, they also only delivered 1 out of 10 copies to me. Whats worse, Trev has got the rest of his copies, whilst I'm still waiting....Not Cool

wozzit

Re: DOCKERS Game of The Year 2014

Post by wozzit » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Nice work Adrian.

Here are mine based on filler / mid-strength / heavy based on plays only.. your method is too hard (the time thing.)

Filler
1. Coup - 23 (including Coup Guatamala) - not sure how many plays I log per play... (if that makes sense)
2. Puzzle Strike - 20
3. Yomi - 19 (would be higher I expect if lunchtime gaming with Stompy had not fallen off, I love this still)
Honourable Mention - Android: Netrunner - 17 (awesome game.. i lack commitment though..)

Mid-Strength
Snowdonia - 9 .. amazed by this.. might be a few solos in here
Bruxelles 1893 - 5 (sold, still like it ok)
Race! Formula 90 - 4 (excellent... want to play more)
Troyes - 4 (sad considering it is my favourite)
Rialto - 4 (sold... ok game)

Heavy - not many considering i *think* i prefer heavy stuff. Maybe i don't
Kanban - 6 (finding this very interesting still)
Dominant Species - 5
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - 3

Solo
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - 18 (mostly failing completely...)
Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game - 7 (fun... a very nice game compared to the turd that is Pathfinder Adventure Card game)
Ghost Stories - 6

I still think Mage Knight is the best solo game out there -... but somehow lacked energy this year to play it and only managed 1 play.. which I don't even think was solo!

wozzit

Post by wozzit » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:35 pm

And my worthless commentary on the "winners" - after quite a few beers this afternoon
crikeythecat wrote: GAME OF THE YEAR - FILLER :smt041
Criteria: Up to 45 minutes Playing Time

Trains

Honourable Mentions

- Coup (EDIT: Oooops, I accidentally posted this as the winner. It was the winner by number of games played, but Trains wins by minutes of gameplay - cant even get my own rules right when posting at midnight)
- Avalon
- Splendor (a late charger that could yet rise to glory)
- For Sale (an oldie but a goodie)
Coup is excellent and the new version even better. The game improves the more you play it which is great for something so light.
Avalon got tired after 5 plays for me. Splendor is competent but very boring. For Sale - still good i think.
crikeythecat wrote: GAME OF THE YEAR: :smt023
Criteria: 60-120 Minutes Playing Time

Caverna : The Cave Farmers
was it perhaps Gavin's cool foam core box modifications that got it over the line?

Honourable Mentions

- Terra Mystica
- Trajan
- Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia (the version with the cool bits)
Not played Caverna but just not that keen.. I guess I should try it in 2015.
Terra Mystica is still excellent though I don't seem motivated to play in person when I have other choices.
Trajan is crap. Why spend 2 hours with everyone freaking around with their mancala rather than actually looking at the board? The mechanism is novel but it takes away any sense of playing other people.
Euphoria - The bump mechanic is novel but really just a bunch of stuff you are doing which do not mesh together in any way. If you want a Dice game Troyes shits all over it. Having been a play tester I just think it was rushed and undeveloped.
crikeythecat wrote: GAME OF THE YEAR - BIG ONES :smt041
Criteria: Playing Time of 2 hours or more

Dominant Species

Honourable Mentions
- Eclipse
- "Dons' Prototype Game" is Don is good
Dominant Species is great and needs more plays - at least until I pull off a win!
I have soured on Eclipse a bit since "The Bordercon Incident" - probably going on sale soon...
Not played Don's game - once the play time comes down I will try it.

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:36 pm

wozzit wrote:And my worthless commentary on the "winners" - after quite a few beers this afternoon
a few beers you say....thats quite a rant. :p

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:38 pm

wozzit wrote: I still think Mage Knight is the best solo game out there
i hope so considering you talked me into buying it

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:46 pm

wozzit wrote:Not played Caverna but just not that keen.. I guess I should try it in 2015.
Terra Mystica is still excellent though I don't seem motivated to play in person when I have other choices.
Trajan is crap. Why spend 2 hours with everyone freaking around with their mancala rather than actually looking at the board? The mechanism is novel but it takes away any sense of playing other people.
Euphoria - The bump mechanic is novel but really just a bunch of stuff you are doing which do not mesh together in any way. If you want a Dice game Troyes shits all over it. Having been a play tester I just think it was rushed and undeveloped.
Considering how many of the same games we like....

Caverna: A bit like Agricola, only without the cards that get dealt out at the start...which in my book is a win. I like it.
Terra Mystica: I just don't get it, partly cos i lost so badly.
Trajan: More player interaction would obviously be nice, but i kinda like what it does.
Euphoria: Perhaps they needed better playtesters! :evil: actually the more i play it, the better it seems to work.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:04 am

I need to get back to dockers to raise the state of the games played up.

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Mr Skeletor wrote:I need to get back to dockers to raise the state of the games played up.
Today my wife (not a gamer) asked me if I had played Star Wars: Imperial Assault after it was referenced in a food blog.
http://www.eatlowcarbhighfat.com/?p=5449

Frank maybe you can help me to get some street cred by bringing Star Wars: IA for play.