EGF - 2011

Held at Wadham House, Mount Waverley, first and third Sunday of every month.
kalaidiscope

Re: EGF - 2011

Post by kalaidiscope » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am

Hi,

Kew is definitely better than Blackburn. And I would be happy to help vacuuam as part of lockup for the days there. That being said, I am not there all that often, and it sounds like the bridge club just wants us gone.
Is there anyone else who would be interested in coming if we found an alternate venue one sunday a month towards the north of the city? There is a new games store in Northcote I could have a chat to, and there are also some friendly bowls clubs around.Libraries may also be possible. Let me know if you think it is worthwhile me spending the time to look.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Blackburn is the demographic centre of Melbourne, however it is a bit awkward for me as it involves a train into the city and out again to Zone 2, and precludes bike riding. Not out of the question but awkward.

Another possibility to look into perhaps - Northcote Town Hall. This is a venue for meetings etc. nowadays, I have been to quite a few over the past few years. I rented a room from them to run meetings for two years a while back and it was pretty reasonable. It was around $10 an hour I think but progressively cheaper for longer bookings, not that they were terribly interested in taking our money (an invoice used to go out to one of the ex-members every so often). It was even better when we got a grant from the council's 'in-kind' community grants to use it for free - which might be worth looking into. This all comes under Darebin city council.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Blackburn would be slightly closer for me, it would cut my trip down from 37km to 31km. And maybe cut the travel time by 5 minutes from my current 40 - 45 minutes at present.

Go to whereis.com if you want to find out the distance or route to Blackburn.

If EGF moved to the Northern suburbs I'd probably prefer to go to KOST on a Friday night.

Lucky

MooseHead

Post by MooseHead » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:10 pm

kalaidiscope wrote:Is there anyone else who would be interested in coming if we found an alternate venue one sunday a month towards the north of the city? There is a new games store in Northcote I could have a chat to, and there are also some friendly bowls clubs around.Libraries may also be possible. Let me know if you think it is worthwhile me spending the time to look.
Is is most definitely worthwhile looking and I am doing the same. The basic parameters are as follows:
:arrow: $40 at most per session covering room hire etc.;
:arrow: Unrestricted timing;
:arrow: Storage available on site for club collection of games;
:arrow: Arrangements are for min of 12 months starting Jan 2011;
:arrow: 1st and 3rd Sunday of the Month except when other conventions clash;
:arrow: Food and Drink friendly preferred;
:arrow: Close to public transport;
:arrow: Keys, multiple copies if we open/close ourselves;
:arrow: Inner City, 5-10km from GPO to be equally accessible.

Local Scout halls, RSL clubs, Local government through a subsidised rate may all be possible.

I too would not be personally thrilled about Blackburn or an environment in which we do not absolutely control. Issues such as food and drink may well be important given we play for most of the day. These issues may make a shop environment not conducive to our activities as we had difficulty maintaining low noise levels for the bridge players when we played on Saturdays in the smaller room.

The day of EGF would also be up for discussion if we are changing venue, so feedback about whether Saturday or Sunday preferred is something we need feedback on.

ludo

Post by ludo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Days-
Erin and I prefer Sundays; Saturdays are more likely to conflict with other events. But we would still come when possible.

Location-
Blackburn and Kew are pretty much on a par. Anywhere North of the Eastern Freeway would be a deal-breaker.

Venues-
I believe it may be possible to get space at St Kilda Library. Arcanacon was contacted in 2007 by Mr Phil Minchin from Port Phillip City Libraries. At that time he wanted to expand their library's games program. His details are below (could be out of date).
Otherwise, I presume the annual budget is ~$850. I will ask at work (Glen Eira Council), but I am not optimistic. I think it would be better to approach sports clubs (i.e. Bowls, tennis) and churches.
There is a private bowls club at 10 Blackwood St, Murrumbeena: I spoke with them earlier this year and they would be interested, but I don't know whether the club is available on weekends. I will call them again.

Philip Minchin
Library IT Team Leader
Port Phillip Library Service
03 9209 6413 (bh)

Rob
When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro

kalaidiscope

Post by kalaidiscope » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:02 am

Hi

Sounds like Kew is pretty good for everyone: St Kilda and Glen Eira would both be deal breakers for me ( Too far South)

http://boroondara.vic.gov.au/our-city/halls/kew has a list of community spaces available; no idea of cost, though as noted, Councils will often give "grants" that will reduce the rent for community groups.

I am happy to ring up any approprate sounding places on the list; I just dont want to duplicate someone elses work. If anyone has already rung through this list or anyone on it, can they please put a note up here before Monday?

I will also invetigate Northcote options, but I am aware that the group will split if we do this, so I would like to try for around Kew as well.

I agree that Sunday afternoons are generally less crowded for me than Saturday.

I will note tht places with games storage will be difficult to find: Libraries/ church halls generally don't provide this. If the the requirement for storage is non negotiable, it will limit where we can go. Another possiblity may be that a number of people volunteer to take charge of one box- that way, even if someone cant make it, it will only be one box that doesn't get to the gig, not all of them.

ludo

Post by ludo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:59 am

Hi all-

These two sites give an overview of Victoria's Community Houses:
http://www.scot.net.au/
and
http://www.anhlc.asn.au/networks

We seem to want the Inner East Region (includes Boroondara) or North East Region (includes Yarra). There is a map here http://www.anhlc.asn.au/find/niech

I attached the relevant section below.

Finbar Neighbourhood House
143 Kent Street
RICHMOND
(03) 9428-7668
http://www.finbar.websyte.com.au
Appears to be unused on Sundays...

Belgium Avenue Neighbourhood House
9 Belgium Avenue
RICHMOND
(03) 9428-1676
http://www.banh.org.au/

Kew Neighbourhood Learning Centre
http://kewnlc.org.au/
Not suitable- offers training programs.

Collingwood Neighbourhood House
Ground Floor
253 Hoddle St
COLLINGWOOD
(03) 9417 4856
No web page, and very little online. Seems an unlikely venue - ground floor of a Housing Commission Highrise.

Richmond Community Learning Centre
92 - 94 Lord Street
RICHMOND
(03) 9428-9901
http://www.users.on.net/~lordst/index.php
This looks very good, and has multiple rooms. Cost?

Hawthorn Community House
32 Henry Street
HAWTHORN
(03) 9819-2629
http://www.hawthorncommunityhouse.vic.edu.au (link is broken)
No info
Attachments
KewVenues.jpg
Community House locations in/around Kew
KewVenues.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro

LiegeLord

Post by LiegeLord » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 am

The Inner East indeed seems to be the preferred. Like 'Lucky' (Phil), I live in the South East (Narre Warren), and currently travel about 45min to Kew to participate. A plea ... if we move, can we make every effort to not move too great a distance in to the north or west? I will not choose to pay road toll's (CityLink, Eastlink) to reduce my trip time - too costly.

I prefer we continue with Sundays. It is only the fact that this group meets on a weekend that I can attend a gaming group at all. I've always liked the open-ended finish - so simple to fit in that 'last game' without much thought on time. The 11am start does seem logical (as per MooseHead) so good enough player numbers.

Being further out from the city centre, I'm not familiar enough to make any constructive contribution towards a nomination of a possible new site. A great thanks to those of you that are throwing up a few new options.

Darren

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 am

Elwood Neighbourhood Learning Centre (community house) in Tennyson Street might be worth checking out as well.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am

Northern Suburbs certainly works for me.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Kew is already as far east as I'd like to go, being that I'm coming from the western suburbs. So if everyone who goes to EGF is going to remain happy, we're looking for a venue relatively close by to the existing site.

kalaidiscope

Post by kalaidiscope » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Fairfield community rooms are available Every Sunday after 12:30
121 Station Street Fairfield
http://www.darebin.org/Directory/S2_Ite ... &S3Key=594
* cost about $7.20/ hour ( This is the " Darebin Community group" rate, I think I can get it)
We would have to organise Public liability Insurance as well. ( this should be easy/cheap to get- I can organise quotes)
*restaurants, bread shops, milk bar, supermarkets in same shopping strip
* We are allowed to eat food in the venue
* near Fairfield train station
* parking available- The strip shopping parking is often full, but there is parking behind the Library ( meeting room is in same building as Library)
* North side of Eastern Freeway ( sorry!) but right by Chandler Highway Freeway exit ( about 5 minutes from freeway exit- closer than if you came down the Eastern and went to Kew instead)
* about 10 minutes drive from Kew. Doing shuttle car trips from PT in Kew to Fairfield and back again could be arranged fairly painlessly I think, especially if there were a couple of set pickup times.
*There is also good bike path from Fairfield to Kew and all the way to Camberwell East Train station- mostly along Park reserve, not on roads.
* Limited Storage available- dont know what the definition of limited is, I can find out
So.... what do people think?

I haven't talked to City of Yarra people yet, ( Richmond Venues) but unless someone on the site is a city of Yarra Resident, we are going to end up paying $15+ /hour plus insurance for any council run place in Richmond/ Fitzroy.

SuperChutney

Post by SuperChutney » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:18 pm

kalaidiscope wrote:I haven't talked to City of Yarra people yet, ( Richmond Venues) but unless someone on the site is a city of Yarra Resident, we are going to end up paying $15+ /hour plus insurance for any council run place in Richmond/ Fitzroy.
I have absolutely no experience in organising this kind of thing, but I'm a City of Yarra guy.

intheclear

Post by intheclear » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 pm

kalaidiscope wrote:Fairfield community rooms are available Every Sunday after 12:30
121 Station Street Fairfield
How long can we have the room for?
learnthelanguageofboardgaming(GG,Avatar,T2r,AOS,Teuber,BGG,Ystari,M44,Faidutti,T&E,Spiele,RR,TI3,Robbirob.)

carlos

Post by carlos » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:58 am

Sounds like we might be able to keep going into 2011, despite their grumbles. Just in case we haven't found anything satisfactory by then. North is good for me, but Blackburn is ok.